Monday, July 12, 2010

Sauces that are White

When I was a little tacker vegetables were an extension of cutlery, their main function being the mopping up of Dad's delicious white sauce. Who knows how this juice of the gods was made by him, but I've found a number of tasty versions myself. A good, creamy stock standard is as follows:

Take a generous knob of butter and melt gently in saucepan. Fold in a small amount of flour, gradually, forming a paste. Gradually add a few cups of milk to this paste, and continue to stir over a very low heat as the sauce thickens. Near the end, add some strong flavoured cheese - like parmesan - or several types of cheeses if you like. A good sprinkle of fresh cracked pepper and nutmeg are also delicious.

The key to a good white sauce seems to be in a quality I am in short supply of: patience. Overheating or adding ingredients too quickly can result in burnt, lumpy sauce. My first few attempts were a watery mess with alternating flotsam of raw and burnt flour, connected by bridges of half melted cheese.

When it works, however, my goddess of lesbians is it ever delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment